One of the many important roles of the American Political Science Association (APSA) is recognizing excellence in the political science profession. The APSA makes awards for the best dissertations, papers and articles, and books in the various subfields, and for career achievement in research, teaching and service to the discipline. These awards will be presented at the 2019 APSA Annual Meeting in Washington, DC.
Nominations for the 2019 awards are closed. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you have questions.
- APSA Distinguished Teaching Award for contributions to undergraduate and graduate teaching.
- John Gaus Award for scholarship in political science and public administration.
- Frank J. Goodnow Award for distinguished service to the profession and APSA.
- Hubert H. Humphrey Award for notable public service by a political scientist.
- Benjamin E. Lippincott Award for work that is considered significant after 15 or more years since publication.
- Carey McWilliams Award for major journalistic contributions to politics.
- Charles Merriam Award for contributions to government through social science research.
- Ithiel De Sola Pool Award for research in political theory, political behavior, political communication, science and technology policy, and international affairs.
- Barbara Sinclair Lecture for achievement in promoting understanding of the U.S. Congress and legislative politics.
- Hanes Walton, Jr. Career Award for contributions to racial and ethnic politics.
Proposal and Dissertation Awards
- Gabriel A. Almond Award for best dissertation on comparative politics.
- William Anderson Award for best dissertation on federalism or intergovernmental relations, state and local politics.
- Edward S. Corwin Award for best dissertation on public law.
- Robert A. Dahl Award for scholarship on democracy. (Also listed under books, and paper and articles.)
- Harold D. Lasswell Award for best dissertation on policy studies.
- E. Schattschneider Award for best dissertation on American government.
- Kenneth Sherrill Prize for best proposal for an empirical study of LGBT topics.
- Leo Strauss Award for best dissertation on political philosophy.
- Merze Tate Award for best dissertation on international relations, law, and politics.
- Leonard D. White Award for best doctoral dissertation on public administration.
Paper and Article Awards
- Franklin L. Burdette Pi Sigma Alpha Award for best paper at the previous APSA Annual Meeting.
- Heinz I. Eulau Award for best article in American Political Science Review and Perspectives on Politics.
- Ralph J. Bunche Award for best book on ethnic and cultural pluralism.
- Gladys M. Kammerer Award for best book on US national policy.
- APSA-IPSA Theodore J. Lowi Award for best first book showing promise of having a substantive impact.
- Victoria Schuck Award for best book on women and politics.
- Woodrow Wilson Foundation Award for best book on government, politics, or international affairs.
Teaching and Learning Conference Awards at APSA 2019
- CQ Press Award for Teaching Innovation for developing a new approach to teaching.
- Michael Brintnall Teaching & Learning Award to support attendance at the conference.