Asia Pacific Political Science Research and Publication Conference
Bangkok, Thailand | July 21 – July 23, 2022
The American Political Science Association (APSA) is pleased to announce a Call for Papers from scholars interested in attending the Asia Pacific Political Science Research and Publication Conference. This three-day program offers an opportunity to share and receive critical feedback on research manuscripts, network with colleagues from across the Asia Pacific region, and contribute to a range of forthcoming publications.
Organized in partnership with Thammasat and Chulalongkorn Universities, the conference will be held in Bangkok from July 21-23. Approximately 60 scholars will be invited to attend, including up to 30 alumni of the APSA Asia Workshops. The conference will be held alongside the Southeast Asia Research Group
(SEAREG) Summer Conference to maximize opportunities for networking and professional development.
With support from the Henry Luce Foundation, organizers will cover the cost of airfare and hotel
accommodation for all invited scholars. The 2022 conference is part of APSA’s effort to support political science research among early-career scholars in East and Southeast Asia and strengthen research networks linking Asian scholars with colleagues overseas. The working language of the conference is English.
Conference Theme and Attendees
The conference is intended for PhD students and early-career faculty in political science, international relations, and other social science disciplines who are based at institutions in East and Southeast Asia. Scholars based outside the Asia Pacific may apply, though preference will be given to applicants from within the region. The program is open to those undertaking Asia politics research across a range of contemporary topics, including:
- Geopolitics and Regionalism
- Civil Society and Civic Engagement
- Elections and Electoral Laws
- Political Institutions
- International Development
- Political Economy and Sustainable Development
- Diversity and Inclusive Democracy
- Citizenship, Migration, and Refugees
- Gender and Political Representation
Invited scholars will be expected to prepare an original, solo-authored, high-quality research manuscript which, during the conference, will be shared in small working groups for discussion and critical feedback. Journal editors and advanced scholars in thematic fields and will be invited as discussants and plenary speakers. A goal of the conference is for attendees to utilize feedback to revise their research for publication in journals, special issues, symposia, or other collaborative work.
Applications must be in English and include:
- The online application: https://apsa.wufoo.com/forms/apsa-2022-asia-pacific-conference/. (No longer accepting applications)
- A detailed, recent Curriculum Vitae/resume.
- An abstract (750 – 1,000 words maximum) summarizing the work-in-progress you intend to develop and share for feedback at the conference. The abstract should outline the main theme of the paper, its methodology, and the data/fieldwork on which it is based. Submissions should not be an excerpt from an already completed work or one that has already been accepted for publication. Research submissions may be derived from an ongoing dissertation but should function as a stand-alone piece.
- A brief statement of interest (250 words) describing where you are in your career and how the submission relates to your research interests and broader research agenda.
The deadline for submission is Friday, April 8, 2022. Successful applicants will be notified by the end of April and a mandatory deadline for revised manuscripts will be set for late June. For more information, contact email@example.com.