Posted by Matt Scherer, Section Chair, on APSA Connect:
Journal of Church and State is pleased to announce a call for papers on the following topic:
“Catholic Clerical Sexual Abuse”
The continuing Catholic sexual abuse tragedy has escalated from an acute religious crisis to a chronic, global, political one. It continues to be fueled by increasing national, civil investigations; the lack of credible Vatican responses to protect children, and the need to provide justice for the victims. The balance of power between the Catholic Church and many national states has changed significantly due to the increasing revelations of clerical sexual abuse. Authors are invited to submit manuscripts for consideration for a special issue of Journal of Church and State.
Papers are invited from scholars to articulate, examine and analyze the new relationships as well as the negative or positive consequences for both the Catholic Church and civil states. Papers will be expected to use government and church documents to support arguments. These arguments include, but are not limited to:
- The growth of the scope and nature of civil/criminal investigations into Catholic clerical sexual abuse
- The right or overreach of the State to examine clerical personnel records
- State monitoring of the management of clergy
- The compelling state interest to protect children
- New interpretations of notions of “separation of Church and State” and constitutional protections of religious freedom
- State attempts to eradicate religious exemptions and privileges
- Challenges to the financial position and disposition of Church funds in bankruptcy proceedings
- Changes in Church supported educational, health, and social policies
The special issue will be edited by Dr Jo Renne Formicola (Professor of Political Science, Department of Political Science and Public Affairs, Seton Hall University – profile page).
Proposals should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org by February 1, 2019.
Submissions should adhere to the journal’s Author Instructions for original research articles. Please indicate in a cover letter that the submission is in response to the Call for Papers and reference the title of the call. All manuscripts submitted in response to the call will undergo expedited, full peer review.
The final deadline for papers will be June 1, 2019.