The IMM and APSA’s Women’s Caucus in Political Science co-sponsor a monthly online Methods Clinic convened by Prof. Peregrine Schwartz-Shea (University of Utah, em.) and Prof. Dvora Yanow (Wageningen University).
The Methods Clinic is a monthly online drop-in session for scholars interested in interpretive research. The Methods Clinic meets via Zoom on the third Friday of the month at 4pm Central European Time (GMT+1)/8am Mountain Time (US) for 70 to 90 minutes.
Scholars are encouraged to bring questions for informal discussion. Topics could include specific issues in research design, writing, quality criteria, engaging with reviewers, or others. Occasionally, the focus will be centered on specific topics, readings, a “New Books in Interpretive Political and Social Science” podcast, or an invited researcher. Topic requests are welcome (e.g., ethnography, discourse analysis, metaphor analysis). If possible, small group discussions of shared interests will be held during last 20 minutes. Graduate students are welcome!
Up-Coming Methods Clinic:
There are no up-coming methods clinics scheduled.
Previous Methods Clinics
- Methods Clinic 6: “Working with ‘Reviewer #2′” with guest discussant Joe B. Soss (University of Minnesota). June 25, 2021. Flyer for Clinic 6 (pdf); Resource List for Clinic 6 (pdf).
- Methods Clinic 5: “Documents and Beyond,” with guest discussant Michelle D. Weitzel (University of Basel). May 21, 2021. Flyer for Clinic 5 (pdf); Video of Methods Clinic 5 (YouTube); Resource List for Clinic 5 (pdf).
- Methods Clinic 4: “Interviewing,” with guest discussants Nadia E. Brown (Perdue University) and Prof. Robin Harper (York College, CUNY). April 16, 2021. Flyer for Clinic 4 (pdf)); Chat Transcript for Clinic 4 (pdf); Resource List for Clinic 4 (pdf); additional resources on Interpretive Policy Analysis (pdf).
- Methods Clinic 3: “Political Ethnography,” with guest discussants David Forrest (Oberlin College) and Natasha Behl (Arizona State University). March 19, 2021. Flyer for Clinic 3 (pdf); Chat Transcript for Clinic 3 (pdf); Resource List for Clinic 3 (pdf).
- Methods Clinic 2: “Field research, COVID, and social media,” with guest discussants Aarie Glas (Northern Illinois University), Milli Lake (London School of Economics and Political Science), and Carolyn E. Holmes (Mississippi State University). February 19, 2021. Video of the Clinic (YouTube). Flyer for Clinic 2 (pdf); Chat Transcript for Clinic 2 (pdf); Resource List for Clinic 2 (pdf).