Call for Applications – 2019 Asia Workshop

Call for Applications: 2019 Asia Workshop
APSA is now accepting applications from early-career scholars who would like to participate in APSA’s inaugural Asia Workshop in June 2019. The one-week workshop on “Dynamics of Political Institutions in Asia” will be held from June 23–29, 2019 in partnership with Universiti Sains Malaysia in Penang. Leading the workshop will be William Hurst (Northwestern University, USA), Soo Yeon Kim (National University of Singapore), Benny Teh Cheng Guan (Universiti Sains Malaysia), and Meredith Weiss (State University of New York at Albany, USA). Attendees will build connections with scholars from across East and Southeast Asia and receive feedback on their own research related to political institutions in Asia. The organizers will cover participation costs (including airfare, lodging, and materials) for up to 22 qualified applicants. The deadline to apply for the workshop is Friday, March 29, 2019. To be considered for participation, please complete the online Registration Form

16 thoughts on “Call for Applications – 2019 Asia Workshop”

1. Hi, I am a master student at Lee Kuan Yew School of Public Policy, National University of Singapore. I am quite interested in this 2019 Asia Workshop. But it seems only open for PhD students. I am wondering whether I am eligible to apply? I do have a plan to do PhD after this master program.

• Thank you for your interest in our inaugural 2019 Asia Workshop. Unfortunately to be eligible for the workshop you must be currently enrolled in a PhD program or currently hold a PhD. However, I encourage you to re-apply once you have been accepted into a PhD program.

2. Hi, it is an interesting event indeed. I am Cambodian PHD student based in Australia, and wonder if I am still eligible to apply. Would be great to hear from you.

I appreciate your response.

Kind regards,
    Sreang

• Thank you for your interest, Sreang. The workshop is primarily intended for PhD students and post-doctoral fellows in political science, international relations, and other social science disciplines who are citizens of countries in East and Southeast Asia. We do also accept up to four scholars from outside the Asia region. So as both a Cambodian citizen and a Australian-based scholar, you are more than welcome to apply.

3. Hi,I am really happy to know this news.I am a Ph.D. student in ethics at Central China Normal University,and the research direction is political ethics.I am really interested in your political studies.For me,this is a great opportunity to learn, communicate and develop my academic vision.Could I attend this meeting?
    Sincerely yours,
    Wu

• Thank you for your interest, Wu. We are happy to receive an application from you, if you believe that your research fits with the workshop’s theme of “Dynamics of Political Institutions in Asia”. The topic of political ethics could definitely fit within a discussion of how political institutions in Asia affect political representation, interest intermediation, governance, political liberalization, and regional integration. If you do submit an application, be sure to describe specifically how your research relates to the theme.

4. Hi, would airfare(return ticket from the UK to Malaysia) be fully covered for an attendee to participate in the workshop? Thank you very much.

Best Regards,
    Kate

• Thank you for your interest in our workshop, Kate. We will cover all participation costs for the workshop including round-trip airfare, lodging, and academic materials.

5. Hello,

This has been mentioned in one of the previous answers but I would like to double-check: as an EU citizen working on EA politics at a UK university am I eligible to apply?

Regards,
    Alex

• Thank you for your interest, Alex. While our workshop is primarily intended for scholars from East and Southeast Asia, we will also be accepting up to four political Science PhD students of any nationality who are currently working towards the completion of their degree at a university outside of the US and Asia.

• Hi Rabi, thank you for your interest in our workshop. We accept applicants who are PhD students, post-doctoral fellows, and early-career scholars (less than 5 years from having earned the PhD). If you meet this criteria, you are welcome to apply.

6. Hello, my name is Kimly Ngoun, an early career scholar from Cambodia. I am a lecturer at the Royal University of Phnom Penh and I obtained a PhD in Political Science from the ANU in 2017. I have just seen the announcement about your workshop and feel very interested to apply. However, as the deadline is tomorrow, I am not sure whether I can still apply. I think I have other documents ready to submit except the recommendation letters. Is it possible for the recommendation letters be submitted after the deadline?
    Kimly

• Hi Kimly, thank you for your interest in our workshop. We encourage our applicants to get all their materials in before the workshop deadline on March 29. However, we can accept recommendation letters up to Monday, April 1 at the very latest. Please do submit your application materials as soon as possible to be considered for the program.

7. Hello Jazmin,

Many thanks for your quick reply. I am afraid I cannot give my recommenders a short notice. I think I should not apply this time. I wish the workshop a great success!
    Kimly

8. Hello Jazmin,

Many thanks for your quick reply. I am afraid I cannot give my recommenders a short notice. I do not think I should apply this time. I wish the workshop a great success!
    Kimly